Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MET Gala Red Carpet Favorites and What I Would've Worn to the Met Gala (In a parallel universe, of course)

The MET Gala is over and I have so much to talk about. I had made some guesses as to who would wear what in my previous post. Although some of my guesses were spot on, they were disappointing. I was expecting Rooney Mara to show up in Givenchy, Anna Wintour in Chanel, Lauren Santo Domingo (LSD) in Rodarte or Vivienne Westwood.

It was a no-brainer that Anna Wintour would wear Chanel (as always) but the dress with bright flowery embellishment was so far away from the punk theme. She could've picked a different piece and styled with something other than those Manolo Blahnik's that have become attached to her feet. I'm imagining they are ultra-comfy and that's why she won't give them up. But this woman is incredible she'll never change her hair or shoe style.
 
 
 
Even so, she could've worn a different Chanel such as... (Yeah, fat chance, I know...)
 
Chanel Spring 2013 Couture

Chanel Fall 2012 Couture

Rooney Mara wore Givenchy as I guessed but her choice of color was disappointing. She should have chosen something much darker to fit the night's theme. I was certainly expecting a huge nose ring from her.


This would have been rockin'!!!

Givenchy Spring 2012 Couture

Taylor Tomasi Hill opted for a Thom Browne dress with spikes on her shoulders. Not bad.



Lauren Santo Domingo wore a Dolce Gabbana which I will not include here. All Dolce Gabbana dresses looked out of place for the theme. Even Giovanna Battaglia was sore to the eye. You can google their looks if you insist.

I was also curious to see  Rihanna, Gwenyth Paltrow and Kate Moss. Looks like Rihanna and Kate Moss didn't make it this year. And I wish that Gwenyth Paltrow had not showed up either. Google and see for yourself if you like..

Now, let's look at my favorites in no particular order...

Anja Rubik, once again chose to wear Anthony Vaccarello (So, did Giselle.) and claimed the sexiest punk award (in my mind). I love the 80's shape feel to it and the anarchic red.

 
January Jones and Stacy Kiebler also opted for mini dresses. January wore a Chanel dress with sequins and a pair of Nicholas Kirkwood heels and spiced it up with punky (is that even a word?) eye make up.
 
 

 Stacy Kiebler wore a Rachel Roy with some awesome footwear. Anyone know the brand?


Sienna Miller and Cara Delevigne rocked the red carpet with their heavily studded Burberry looks. Sienna's hair piece and Cara's make-up and attitude were spot on.





Allison Williams wore Altuzarra. One of my favorite brands, lately.


Constance Jablonski and Hillary Rhoda chose Wes Gordon.



Carey Mulligan wore the face of a mouse and a Balenciaga dress with a giant safety pin while Emma Watson wore Prabal Gurung.



Chanel Iman and Katie Holmes looked amazing with their gorgeous dresses but were really off on the theme except for Chanel's pink/purple hair. Chanel wore a J. Mendel, Katie wore a Calvin Klein.



I also liked Mary Kate's bo-ho style as always. She is wearing a Chanel dress and a fur trimmed Givenchy jacket.


There were some pleasant surprises too. I loved Jennifer Lopez' leopard print open back dress but what made it special was her amazing hair do... Does anyone know of a hairdresser in Turkey that could do this?


Jessica Biel wore Gianbatista Valli reminescent of fishnet stockings.


Miley Cyrus wore a fishnet dress by Marc Jacobs and paired it so well with her spiky hair do. So Billy Idol of her..


Anne Hathaway shocked me as a blonde and in a good way. I think her hair makes the whole outfit punk.


These last three ladies were amazing. They are by far the most appropriately dressed for the theme.

Madonna chose Givenchy. Many don't like the shoes but punk doesn't have to match my dears.


Carine Roitfeld stole my heart twice. She wore Givenchy and it had Bambi on it. You must remember the song "Who killed Bambi" by the Sex Pistols?


And, last but not least, Sarah Jessica Parker has made a hat trick with a mohawk shaped head piece by Phillip Treacy, a Giles Deacon dress and Alexander McQueen over the knee boots.


And now, what would I wear to the MET gala if I were in invited? (Hey, don't laugh, this is totally possible in an alternate universe.) I would definitely choose a Jean Charles de Castelbajac dress, Christian Louboutin for Rodarte spiked heels, a JCDC faux fur jacket (yes, I love his Foxy Lady collection) to drag behind me (a la Mary Kate) and Tom Binns safety pin necklace and Givenchy earrings. See all of them below...





 

No comments:

Post a Comment